Saturday, November 01, 2008

What's up with this Blackberry thingy?

I kept bumping onto people who gives me lines such as "Is that a Nokia? A what-berry? Why didn't you get a Nokia?" So, I figure, maybe its time I share about what's a BlackBerry. A phone is a device to talk and text. On default mode, it's on 'voice' connection mode. A BB, is a device to talk, text, instant msg, email & internet. On default mode, it's on 'data' connection.

The only next thing that's on full time data connection is e.g. a PC that's on internet connection. And that PC is connected to a server e.g. Streamyx. Similarly, a BlackBerry device is connected to a server too. And that's the BlackBerry server.

Having said that, that would mean that, to enable the 'BB Service', be ready for an extra RM55 a month commitment. And an appropriate data plan is critical to go with it. A BB device without BB service would mean that it will be just a talking brick. At this juncture, a 40series Nokia could possibly be a better choice.

With a PC, you're only ONLINE when you're in front of your PC. But with BB, that acts like a PC, you're ONLINE as long as you have your phone turned on. So that explains why I'm always ONLINE on my Live Messenger, Yahoo! and Google Talk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

which telco are you with?

--iffil-- said...

Hey Ndru, I'm with Maxis. The unlimited data plan is RM99/mth.

JALAN REBUNG said...

salam bro ....

hang memang gadget leg la ...kaki gadget ..hehehee ..aku dah 2 tahun pakai "nokia lampu suluh" ...as long as I'm connected ....

bull

--iffil-- said...

bull... betul lah.. aku ni kaki gejet sikit... masalah mental betul lah :-)

i try my best not to blog about my gadgets pasal i dont want to sound like i'm bragging, tapi, good things i will share :-)