Friday, December 12, 2008

Dec's Blog! 11/12 hit rate! Not bad!!

As usual, during worktime, I browse pictures in Flickr.

But before I start on my routine monthly head-banging dunnowat2write tasteless blogging, let's be clear on 1 thing: I am NOT a 'pro' photographer. I'm just one of those guys who loves viewing things from idiotic angles but does not have enough RAM in the brain to store the image longer than 20seconds. Hence, me + camera.

Anyway, here's my thought on photography. I know you don't care. But, so do I.

I think, the real essence of photography is capturing the moment. Not just an image. It does not have to be sharp. Or with perfect color rendition. It's about re-living the split-second moment every time you view it. Not many pictures have this 'mojo'. It has to be effective. It has to 'move' you.

I tagged a few photos from flickr as my favs. And when i view those again, it moved me again and again. And these pictures are not over the world sharp or with spot-on colors. My measuring stick on an image has always been the same when I view images from NatGeo mags. The good ones are those that gives out that magical feeling that made me go "Wow! How the heck did this guy do it??!!".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjasha/3095086459/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pic of marsha. also... love the pic from the link. i sometimes feel ambiguity is just lovely. i wonder how they do it. you know how they do it?

oh, have u heard of lomo? i think lomography pictures are nice too.

Anonymous said...

i cant agree more wif that photography is about capturing the moment.pictures are worthless if there are no moments in it.
i do enjoy looking at photos but still havent started taking photos.

--iffil-- said...

ahh... i almost bought a lomo camera while in US... it was around 30bucks and gives out this cool fisheye effect. but being a libran, it took me 30days to decide. by then, i'm back in m'sia.

ndru, u should get a panasonic lx3. its a compact camera, but gives out full manual control just like an slr :-) i'm saving up for one!

Your Average Mat said...

I oso want to hunt for that 'Moment'.