Thursday, December 10, 2009

Which Camera?

I think we're back to the photography age when there were dozens type of films on a rack. In the old days, there were full-format, medium-format, square-format, 30, 40, 80, 60, 100 series, 35mm, 8mm films etc etc. In fact, Wikipedia needed 27pages to describe all of the formats.

But, average Joes all over the world used the most popular type, which is the 35mm film. It's rectangular. And it's cheap.

Fast forward to the digital age, replacing the films is the IMAGE SENSOR. And we're kinda replicating the exact scenario of having multiple sizes / formats. Right now, as I know, there are already 6 to 7 sizes of image sensor.

1) 1/2.3" (approx.) used by compact cameras
2) 1/1.7" (approx.) - advanced compacts
3) 4/3rd - SLRs, Rangefinders
4) APSC - most SLRs
5) Full Frame* - Pro-grade SLRs, Rangefinders
6) Med Format - specialized SLRs

*similar size to 35mm film where the sensor is 35mm long too.

Size comparison between image sensors.

The simple analogy is that, the bigger the sensor, the bigger the camera is, but the better the image quality. So, if you're serious on upgrading the quality, simple rule #1: go for bigger sensor.

The compromise to image quality comes in when you need portability as SLRs are just huge and heavy. If cost is of no issue, a full-frame Rangefinder will fit the bill. It's small, light, quiet (see Leica M9) but packs higher image quality than the King of SLR, Nikon D3X. But unfortunately, cost is usually the issue.

But good thing is, currently, there are makers who are trying to slim-down the camera form-factor without slimming the image sensor. Notably Panasonic & Olympus (using 4/3rd sensor in a compact camera form) and Leica X1 (using APSC in compact form).

Reality check: The mass market wants portability AND quality images. And Panasonic GF1 and Olympus E-P2 hits the spot. But currently, they are being sold at premium cost as makers are trying to recover the development cost. In comparo, an entry level SLR with bigger image sensor e.g. APSC, is twice cheaper.

Remember that SLR has gone thru the same cycle. An entry level SLR used to be RM4K in 2007. Now it's selling at half of that price! So, I think, over time, the price for 'portable and light SLR-quality camera' like GF1 will drop... but don't hold your breath in 2010.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

nak komen mende pun tak eti. i am truly buta camera. dan tak hingin pun nok belajor. heheh.
btw, tabik spring for your passion in these camera stuff.

Rizal said...

Yoda,
This is why i idolized you, short of putting a framed photo of you in the living with garland around it.
I asked and u delivered.
I strive on form factor and practicality. I love DSLR, i really do but the size is just not for me. The GF1 is my type of high quality camera , with sensor on steroid.
While I am man of form factor, I am also the baddest frugal practitioner known to man. To eek out almost 4 grands for a camera is just not me. So i will pass. Nikon D3000 is more pocket friendly. I know that Intan would probably carry the camera for 2 months then it will be yours truly that will again pick it up and carry it around. (she is the reason why i am looking for a dslr). Thank you again Yoda for the insight and the neat review.
- I am not worthy -

Rizal said...

Yoda,
This is why i idolized you, short of putting a framed photo of you in the living room with garland around it.
I asked and u delivered.
I strive on form factor and practicality. I love DSLR, i really do but the size is just not for me. The GF1 is my type of high quality camera , with sensor on steroid.
While I am man of form factor, I am also the baddest frugal practitioner known to man. To eek out almost 4 grands for a camera is just not me. So i will pass. Nikon D3000 is more pocket friendly. I know that Intan would probably carry the camera for 2 months then it will be yours truly that will again pick it up and carry it around. (she is the reason why i am looking for a dslr). Thank you again Yoda for the insight and the neat review.
- I am not worthy -

JALAN REBUNG said...

salam bro,

ada version untuk budak baru belajar dak ??? it's too complicated for me ...aku pakai PNS je la ...