Friday, July 13, 2007

Cellphone & Multimedia Shouldn’t Mix Too Much

The biggest limitation to making a cell-phone an equivalent to a micro multimedia computer is always the same; the battery life. Use the phone as a phone; you’ll have 3-5 days of stand-by. Use it as an MP3 player; you’ll have 12-20hours of usage. And use it as a video-player, 2hours – max.

I face this issue on one of my travel. Loaded with an MP3 and video-capable phone, complete with ‘offline/flight-mode’ to accompany me during those lonely hours of commuting, I ended-up NOT using it at all, for fear of battery drain-up – which is the LAST thing I need upon reaching the destination. And if I did, I would’ve gone to the phone booth to make calls and look really dumb – mainly coz the numbers that I want to dial is IN the dead phone. I guess, phone manufacturers should state clearly: “The multimedia functions are your license for bragging rights and not to be used like a real multimedia tool.”

So travelers, go get yourself an iPod, a portable DivX player and an internet-browsing-picture-viewing-gaming PDA, and save the phone for making calls. And if you think you need a hand-bag for this, if it makes you happy, by all means ;-)

4 comments:

waffles said...

stumbled upon ur blog! i like gadget talk :)

when travelling, the role on an ipod is as crucial as the passport IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Hubby gave a N70 for my last year's bday. This year upon opening the bday gift, my thinking was *sigh* "another handphone... ".

It's a N95..

Anonymous said...

Marsha memang manis, macam Dik Yam. Sarawak memang cantik dan berendam di dalam duit balak. Tema cuti kemudian bergoyang masuk masalah teknologi, masalah telipon. Untuk meletakkan masalah telipon pada tempat nya, izinkan aku menyebut masala kebanjiran di Bangladesh dan potensi beribu umat berhadapan kematian dasat

-mamamia- said...

this is hilarious! can i quote your writing for my article? can lah. no copyright control kan?