Tuesday, June 23, 2009

To iPhone, or to Blackberry? That is the question.

Hearing woeful wolfly cries of “Should I get an iPhone or a Blackberry?” is becoming quite as common as to the "roti canai or nasi lemak" question we hear everyday. So, being a geek, perhaps my 2kupang view will help the crying wolves.

*Disclaimer: This blog was written in a record time of 8mins. So please forgive me for its lower-than-usual quality or work.*


A good blackberry

Iphone 3g

Hands down winner

Communicator (email, sms, instant messaging)

Hands down. Bb is da bomb. But it comes with rm120/mth commitment for unlimited data plan. In short, IM or email will no longer be confined to being online on a pc. This is truly mobility at its best.

No push email. That means, you need to be hooked up to a gprs or 3g to be able to ‘download’ email or be connected. And itll suck up big momma batt life if youre ‘online’ most of the time.

BB

User interface

I love the trackball. But the interface is plain jane simple.

Iphone’s UI is to die for. Imagine showing off the pics from ur future dslr via iphone, by just flicking ur figgy.

Iphone

As an imaging wonderpiece

Nothing to brag here. It shows off pics like any other phone.

See above.

Iphone

As a video wonderpiece

I like the fact that you can just drag a video into a bb and view it. ok, so not all format can be viewed, but its hassle free. Screen is so-so.

The screen is the size of Buckingham palace. But I think the vid has to go thru the apple s’ware to get there first. And I heard it might get lost along the way.

A draw

Internet browsing

With bb server connected to you all the time, you’re the hottest king of the net. Waiting for the bus, or pooping has never been so productive. But it uses bb browser, which will reformat the page to a mobile friendly face.

Chances are, you’d buy an iphone with a data plan. So, internet browsing will be a boom. You get full desktop internet brwsng exprnce. And combine tht with its screen size and UI, if u ever get hit by lightning, chances are, you were browsing at that time.

Iphone

Internet entertainment

OK. This is tricky. Just what the heck is internet entertainment. To me, its just.. well, watching videos or playing games. Don’t expect anything from bb here.

Ah… a dedicated youtube apps. Full wide screen. Nothing is better than this. And games? Aplenty. Pooping will never b the same.

Iphone

Twitter

Loads of app for tweeting from a bb. I use uber twitter. And its really cool. I don’t even need a twtdeck with it. and as a bb device, I’m twtable 24x7. how cool is that.

Theres tweetdeck apps for iphone. It’s as cool as the desktop version. But, u need to be in a wifi area or be connected to gprs/3g for it to work. So, you’re not twtable 24x7, and might miss out adam lambert’s fart experience.

Bb

Games

Bb for gamer? Get real.

Ok, imagine yourself holding the iphone like a steering wheel, going thru the st of paris in a mini. Thts iphone.

Iphone

Music

Surprisingly, bb is quite an audiobox. I use mine to fill the gym with music. Tho juno soundtrack is hardly a workout music. I hate the fact tht to go to next track, Ive to press N, and previous trck ‘P’. so stupid.

Theres an ipod built into an iphone. Really. I’m serious.

Iphone

Outlook synch

Mine bb is so screwed up tht I cant use btooth to synch. And even with the usb cable, every now and then, I have to reset something. Other thn tht, it synch up very well. Calendar, address book, notes etc.

I heard that synch-up with outlook is a bit problematic. But I don’t really know. so, I’m giving it the benefit of a doubt.

Draw

Facebook

Ahh.. my 62yr old auntie is on fb. So, if u don’t hv one, u must be more thn 62yr old. Bb app for fb is incredibly super. Every conteng on your wall, you’d get a notication to your bb, realtime. Need to log in and wish someone hppy bday? Do it thru bb. The app makes fb much more meaningful. But then again, with such lightning response to every comment, ppl might thnk you’re an fb addict. But its actually from the bb.

I hate the part where when viewing pic using iphone fb app, the captions will be ON the pic. Not below it. so, ended up, you’d rather go to fb via safari than its fb app. Plus, u don’t get realtime notification like a bb.

bb

*UPDATE*

Another point that I miss is: Using your BB or iPhone (thats loaded with huge megawatts of data plan) as a modem for your shiny Netbook or Laptop.

In this case, the iPhone wins hands down. iPhone can be used as a modem. Therefore, if you're on unlimited data plan, you'd hv a 2in1 device. But sadly, BB cant be used as a modem, therefore confining its data plan on BB services only.

4 comments:

ndru said...

BB Bold screen is infact as good as iphone. eventho it is smaller but its just 40pixel less than the screen iPhone.it has a much better pixel vs screen size ratio. u see the diff when u read chinese text on it.BB has an award winning keypad, somehow the chance of u typig wrongly is much lower. heard lots of complain on iphone's keypad.
BB will suit you better in terms of image, any Tom Dick Harry and Kutusamy has an iphone.
I may be a BB user and sound bias but for me its BB.

Huslina said...

I was about to post "iPhone or Blackberry?" at my fb status when I accidentally visited your blog.. thanks Iffil!

r3na said...

adam lambert tweets about his farts?

--iffil-- said...

huslina -- my pleasure. dah buat pilihan?

ndru -- yup, i heard kutusamy bought a bb too :P

yes r3na --- you missed that one. but a tweety boiidd told me another pop is coming soon. stay close to your twitter! ...hmm, takde quality lah joke tu. anyway, thks for awakening me from my ignorance. now i know who is adam lamburst. Lam'burst'.. y'know lamb + burst, get it? Get it? Hmm, another lame joke.