Saturday, January 28, 2006

Getting Weirder Here -- ooKooLehLeH!

For some reasons, unknown to me, I’ve always found ukulele (pronounced: oo-koo-LEH-leh) sooooo kewl. What’s even kewl is that, I bumped onto a quote by Sir Paul McCartney *salute! salute!* where he once said, "To this day, if I ever meet grownups who play ukulele, I love 'em." See, I’m not the only weirdo.

So, few days ago, I got myself an uke. It’s an all-American Samick, crafted in... err.. Indonesia. But it’s beautiful. Really. Mahogany and Rosewood, Mother of Pearl trimmings and stuff. But here are some stuff I learned (the expensive way) about the OokuuLehLeH:

1) No, it’s NOT easy to play.
2) No, guitar experience will NOT help at ALL.
3) It’s got 4 strings tuned at G-C-E-A (???).
4) The 3rd string is the thickest (???).
5) Not even 1 chord from a guitar is applicable here.
6) And yup, it’s Hawaiian. So, it’s cute & cuddly! Like pineapples!

In summary, yup, it’s a guitar alright, but nothing like the ones I knew. BUT... I’m loving it!! If I'd only knew why the heck is the 3rd string thickest, hmm.

http://www.samickguitar.com/uk70.html

Happy Chinese New Year.

No comments: